Saturday, March 15, 2008

What! Cried Granny: An Almost Bedtime Story


Today Maya is 1 year-old. Papa Ray is visiting, and we will all get together for a party tomorrow. Since Papa will be in the guest room where the computer is the next two nights, Maya and I are actually going to do a Special Double Issue for today and tomorrow. How about that for taking responsibility.


In honor of Maya's birthday, our theme is 'grandmas and grandpas'. Namely books about Papa Ray (see above) and Great Grandma Longard. Maya and I have been looking at the old family photos we have on the living room wall, and I have been answering her questions (or what questions I imagine she could ask) about the people in the picture she won't have a chance to meet.


One of those people is my grandmother. When we were younger, my father was driving over the road so we spent quite a bit of time with both of my grandmothers, both of whom are not with us any longer. One thing I remember about Grandma Longard is that when she was shocked by something, she would let out a high-pitched siren ("whaAAAAAAAAAat?").


So to remember her I read to Maya WHAT! Cried Granny, by Kate Lum and illustrated by Adrian Johnson. And I use Grandma's noon whistle voice as best I can.


Patrick is having his first sleep-over at Granny's house. Granny wants to meet all of his needs, but she's a bit unprepared. When bedtime comes, there's no bed, no pillow, no blanket, etc. So Granny (and here she resembles Patty's Grammy, who has been a pretty rough and tumble homemaker over the years) let's out her trademark shriek and proceeds to make them all from scratch.


To do this she must chop down a tree, wake up the chickens and the sheep, etc. When she finally has everything Patrick could need, unfortunately, it's morning.


This is a really fun book with great repetition. There's probably something everybody can identify with in this do-it-all Granny.

No comments: