Friday, February 1, 2008

What's Wrong, Little Pookie?


This morning I helped with a school program for Kindergartners and 1st-graders based on Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. The teacher for one class had obviously read the book to her kids many times because they knew every line. And they knew how to yell, "Nooooooo!" in all the right places. Repetition really works. Today's book is another one that can be interactive and fun after a few reads.

I figured I better follow Nate's advice and read What's Wrong Little Pookie?, by Sandra Boynton, to Maya. He warned that if I didn't, Maya would never learn to read. I don't know about that, but I don't need too much convincing to pick up a new Boynton book.

Pookie is upset, and won't say what is the matter. Mom asks yes or no questions, and the little piglet answers. Kids can say those parts easily. "No." "That's silly." Mom's questions become more silly, such as, "Are there five lazy frogs in your bed for a snooze?" After giving up and asking once more what the problem is, Pookie says, "I forget." Smart mom.

It reminds me of a story of a mom who, when her son was crabby, asked, "Do you want to eat breakfast?"
"No."
"Do you want to take a nap?"
"No."
"Do you want me to draw a face on your belly with this marker?"
"Ok."
So much for being crabby.

1 comment:

momto3oys said...

I've never read this book by Sandra Boyton, but I love her stuff.

"Pajama Time" became a routine for my sister-in-law with my nephew (of course, at pajama time)... so much so that I knew it by heart before my own son was born. Of course its a bedtime tradition for us. My son still loves doing our little dance "pajamy to the left, pajamy to the right".

We also have "Snuggle Puppy", which we bought after we fell in love with Boynton's CD called Philadelphia Chickens. It is a hilarious and fun collection of different music styles that adults and kids will love. From the start I loved picking up Kai and dancing (read: snuggling) with him to the song "Snuggle Puppy". There's a neat song book to go along with Philadelphia Chickens too.